|We need to cook today!!!|
When I see this type of forecast, I immediately start to think of what could be simmering on the stove. What inviting scent will warm the kitchen and give off the aroma that, as my old friend Louise used to say “smells like somebody's home”!
So today, I am breaking out the crock pot and am making my “Quickfix Salsa Chili”. The recipe is so easy that it requires very little effort or time, and so delicious that I usually make a large batch because family members tend to take it for lunch the next day. This chili requires no dicing of onions, peppers or garlic, and all the mess that comes with it. No, all that is needed here is:
- 2 lbs ground meat (I use ground chicken, but do your own thing here)
- 1 tbls pre-chopped garlic in a jar (this type of garlic tends to be strong but it is absolutely perfect for this chili)
- 2 pks of favorite chili seasoning (I use McCormick’s. 1 pk of mild, 1 pk of hot – great compromise)
- 1 lg jar of your favorite salsa (here are all your onions, peppers and garlic! And don’t be afraid to get a little wild with your choice of salsa!)
- 2 tbls of Barbeque sauce
- 1 small can of tomato sauce
- 1 can of dark kidney beans (optional)
- Shredded cheddar cheese for topping, if desired.
The salsa really does all the work in the flavoring department here. I usually serve it with a loaf of crusty bread, but for parties (Super Bowl?), it is great to put out with scoopable (spellcheck is having a fit with that word, but you know what I mean) Tostito chips with a side of sour cream!